Wednesday, January 9, 2013

SoapHutch Über Mold

Now that I am soaping on a more steady basis, I’m finding that the molds I have been using are starting to show their wear; either getting brittle and cracking, or getting flimsy and losing their shape. It seemed like a good time to look into some long-term, good-quality, sturdy molds. As I was researching soap molds, one name kept coming up highly recommended time and time again: SoapHutch.

When I looked closer at Rich’s molds, I realized that his CraftLine Über Molds are actually a combination slab, divider and log mold, all in one...Über indeed! This way I didn’t need to choose between slab, divider or log….these molds could be configured in so many different ways; I loved that I would be investing in one mold, but getting so much versatility from that one mold. Plus, you don’t need to line them… a definite bonus!

After pouring over all of his designs, I decided that I really just needed a mini Über Mold, as I make such small batches, but I was a little hesitant to ask for smaller custom dimensions. However, Rich assured me that he considers every soap mold that he makes a custom order, so he doesn’t mind at all configuring to customer requests.

I also whined and sniveled (okay, not really, but I would have if necessary…ha!), about the possibility of a vertical divider, as I love the look of vertically divided soaps but haven’t mastered the two-handed, pouring-on-both-sides-of-the-cardboard divider yet. Rich got right to work and fabricated some clever temporary dividers, so that I can pour two different colors into a chamber and then remove the temporary divider. He designed them so that the layers can be split into either halves and thirds, very cool! So many fun possibilities, I was super excited about trying these out:



I will admit that I was a little intimidated when I pulled all the wrapping off the mold and found myself looking at 53 individual pieces! However, once I got the outer slab together, the other configurations were quite easy to figure out and fit together so nicely. The first thing I did as I was figuring out the configurations, was separated them by groups into Ziploc bags, so that it will be much easier to keep all the pieces grouped together:

(I have no idea why this picture keeps insisting on turning sideways, sorry about that!)

What I love the most about this mold is the versatility. I can use it as a slab mold or with the individual bar dividers, or I can make up to 3 different widths and lengths of logs. I can also use the dams that came with the mold to create virtually any length of log that I need, even down to test-size mini logs:


I am super impressed with Rich’s workmanship and professionalism. He was so easy to work with, and you can tell he is very passionate about his work; the pride he takes in his craftsmanship is very evident in the construction of these sturdy and versatile soap molds.  Thank you Rich, I love my new mold(s)!

Of course, for my first soap in the mold I chose to try out those vertical dividers! In my next blog post, I will share with you how I made this fun Beach Bar (which contains ocean water, seaweed and sand!):


 post signature

29 comments:

  1. Have to say again: LOVE YOUR MOLD!
    It's perfect! Happy soaping and may it serves you looooong and looooong...
    And this soap sounds interesting: sand!???
    Beautiful colours and the great name!
    Can't wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maja, I am so thrilled with the mold too...I think it was definitely a worthwhile investment :) I know I went a little crazy with this soap...lol! But it's something I've wanted to try for a long time, I can cross it off my bucket list now! :D

      Delete
  2. Cee, that is definitely one fantastic mold! I was looking at the HDPE molds on ebay and some look really nice, but I think I'll have to get a quote from Rich since I've heard so many good things about him. I would love to have a mold that is narrower and taller than regular log molds.

    I can't wait to see all of your fantastic new creations. Your Beach Bar is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the taller and narrower soaps too Linda! I like this mold in particular because I can actually make them tall and narrow, or use different inserts to make wider bars too...that way I can switch it up depending on the soap design. Good luck on your decision, I know it's a big investment..but well worth it! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, Cee, I am in love with your soap, so beautiful!Love the colours, the look, and those gorgeous ingredients!
    And your mold is ..wow,can't wait to see all your new creations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderfull soap!!! And the mold looks great, too! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a pretty awesome mold. You don't need to line it do you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that mold is super cool! It's so neat that one mold can act as several. I checked out Rich's website and I will definitely have to keep his work in mind the next time I'm in the market for a new mold. The Beach Bar looks fantastic, too - can't wait to see your blog post showing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought his mold was such a clever design, and now that I see it in person I am even more impressed! Thanks for your nice words about my soap Jenny :)

      Delete
  7. That is one of the coolest 'beach' soaps I have seen! Very cool! The straight divided line is really nice! Rich does make some super awesome molds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly, it was super fun to make, I've been wanting to try it for awhile! :)

      Delete
  8. I've been drooling over his molds for a long time, just can't get myself to spend the $$$. I'm so cheap... (Put my head down). Now so jealous! Great investment! Can't wait to see all the creative soap you are about to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Emily, it was hard to part with the $, but when I figured out how much the molds would cost individually plus the space they would take up, it made it a bit easier to let go. At least that's my theory anyways...lol! =)

      Delete
  9. Wow excellent mold! How has it been getting the soap out without lining it? I can only get out my super hard salt bar soaps in the HDPE and the rest of my soap I have had to use silicone lined molds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah! I've only made one soap so far in it, and it was super-duper easy to get out..but I did CPOP it, which probably made a big difference too. It's supposed to be a no-line mold, and I'm counting on that! I definitely plan on putting it to the test...I'll try to remember to update as I go :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome mold..love the versatility! I've heard nothing but great things about Rich's molds. The Beach Bar soap turned out fantastic, Cee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always heard lots of raves too Kalla, and I think it definitely lives up to the hype! My only complaint is that I haven't had enough time to use it yet! :D

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing where you got your mold, what a great piece of machinery. I'm going to have to take a peek at his site and see if I can bring myself to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping we will be happy together for a very long time...lol! It was my partly my birthday and Christmas present, so it made it a bit easier to justify ;)

      Delete
  12. The mold is perfect and so inspiring. I can imagine the excitement and passion towards new soap projects! Happy soaping and looking forward to new soap designs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gordana, I have so many plans for it, but just not enough time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mold fits what i need. Do you have his contact info? His website is not working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! It's probably easiest to email him directly at rbartko@soaphutch.com . Hope that helps!

      Delete
  15. Do you mind sharing your mold measurement? :)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so getting one, thanks for sharing Celine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this post Cee. I have been searching and wanting to try out slab molds and these looks like an all in one mold. How are you liking it?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
10