The good news is that this soap turned out exactly how I envisioned it, the bad news is that it doesn’t smell like it was supposed to :(
It was supposed to be fragranced with peppermint and vanilla, but when I was preparing to make the soap I realized that the french vanilla fragrance oil I mixed with my peppermint e.o. was going to turn the soap quite dark, and I really wanted to soap to stay lighter. Because I had already had my oils and colors ready, I just decided to dig through my fragrance stash for something that was still Christmas-y but wouldn’t change the color of the soap too much. The fragrance I used was Sleigh Ride, and I did have a tiny bit of leftover peppermint e.o. that I added to the fragrance, but it certainly didn’t come through as much as I was hoping. It is nice though, a combination of pine and peppermint, I can detect some soft spices in there are well.
To make the layers, I brought the soap to a thicker trace and poured a layer of white soap in the mold first, then did a layer of in-the-pot swirl with a bit of red and white, then poured another white layer on top. I put some dots of red soap on top and used the back of a spoon to texturize the top a bit and swirl the red soap slightly.
The red is NG Tomato Red with a bit of red iron oxide mixed in to boost the color. I also added t.d. to my oils at the beginning, which in retrospect I realize wasn’t a very good idea because the red color might not get as dark, but it still appears to have turned out okay. It looks like I got a partial gel too, even though I put the soap in the freezer and then the fridge overnight!