Wednesday, September 19, 2012

First Christmas Soap 2012 - Christmas Candy



 
The good news is that this soap turned out exactly how I envisioned it, the bad news is that it doesn’t smell like it was supposed to :(

It was supposed to be fragranced with peppermint and vanilla, but when I was preparing to make the soap I realized that the french vanilla fragrance oil I mixed with my peppermint e.o. was going to turn the soap quite dark, and I really wanted to soap to stay lighter. Because I had already had my oils and colors ready, I just decided to dig through my fragrance stash for something that was still Christmas-y but wouldn’t change the color of the soap too much. The fragrance I used was Sleigh Ride, and I did have a tiny bit of leftover peppermint e.o. that I added to the fragrance, but it certainly didn’t come through as much as I was hoping. It is nice though, a combination of pine and peppermint, I can detect some soft spices in there are well.

To make the layers, I brought the soap to a thicker trace and poured a layer of white soap in the mold first, then did a layer of in-the-pot swirl with a bit of red and white, then poured another white layer on top. I put some dots of red soap on top and used the back of a spoon to texturize the top a bit and swirl the red soap slightly.

The red is NG Tomato Red with a bit of red iron oxide mixed in to boost the color. I also added t.d. to my oils at the beginning, which in retrospect I realize wasn’t a very good idea because the red color might not get as dark, but it still appears to have turned out okay. It looks like I got a partial gel too, even though I put the soap in the freezer and then the fridge overnight!



 post signature

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Love that layer of swirl, so cute! I have the Sleigh Ride FO too, can't wait to use it. Peppermint always heats up on me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect soap! It would be a wonderful xmas gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much guys! I didn't realize that peppermint heats up Laura, I'll have to remember that for next time. The peppermint seems to be getting stronger too as the soap sits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks GREAT! Although I just do M&P soaps. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful soap, I like the colors and your topping is great!!! Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, Cee Gee! I love the layers. This soap looks like Christmas. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Santana, Angela and Jenny, I really appreciate your nice comments! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't believe it! I was thinking myself of making similar soap! This one looks just as I imagined mine. It's so beautiful, I wouldn't dare to try replicating it.
    By the way, I've always wanted to ask, but always forgot: how do you take (or make) these wonderful photos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so neat that you were thinking of the same thing Maja! I would love to see a picture if you do make the soap :) Thank you for the nice compliment on my photos. My picture set-up is pretty simple; I just place the soaps on a white poster board, and I try to take the pictures outside (but not in the direct sunlight) or near a bright window if it's yucky outside. I usually take about 500,000 photos to get one or two that I'm happy with :)

      Delete
  9. Do you sell your soap anywhere? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cherie, thanks so much for visiting my blog! I don't sell my soaps yet, but I hope to one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow,I love the way it turned out, like an ice cream
    cake or panna cotta.Awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kinpira, it does look a bit like food - it reminds me too of strawberry shortcake =)

      Delete
  12. So beautiful,I like everything about this soap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi, I really love this soap! Do you have a recipe of it to share? <3 Ingrid of Sweden

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
10