Saturday, July 7, 2012

Using Sodium Lactate in Hot Process Soap

I finally got my hands on some sodium lactate! I've been wanting to try it in my HP soap forever, since everyone says it makes such a difference in their hot process soaps.

I added the sodium lactate (at a rate of 3% of my oil weight) to my lye water and didn't notice a difference at all through the beginning stages; the soap didn't trace any faster and the cook took the same amount of time. However, when I added the extra cream to my soap at the end of the cook, the soap frothed up, almost as if I had added baking soda to it, and became really fluid and I was actually able to pour the soap right from my bowl into the mold. I am sold, and will definitely be adding sodium lactate to my HP soaps from now on. Next time, I'll be brave and attempt layers or maybe a swirl!


I found the sodium lactate also made a big difference when it came to removing my soap from the mold. Usually I have to put the mold in the freezer for a bit before I attempt to remove the soap, but this time it just popped right out. I'm curious to see if the sodium lactate makes the HP bars harder and last longer.

Can't wait to try sodium lactate in CP!
I have updated this blog post to add a video showing how I make my hot process soap, enjoy! :)






14 comments:

  1. Oooh, I was just about to comment on how smooth your HP soaps look! Such a great idea, I use sodium lactate in my CP soaps every batch, but never thought to try in HP. I haven't made in HP soaps in months it seems, I will have to give this a try. What creams are you adding at the end of your cook?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely give it a try it HP, I was skeptical that it would make such a difference, but it did! I always add a bit of oil and usually either coconut milk or heavy cream after the cook. I just made some banana milk tonight, so I am going to try that in my next soap (I'll use it as part of my lye water - before the cook).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try the oil and milk/cream after cook! I did some google searching about it last night after I commented here. I'd never heard of doing that. I was always afraid to try any milks in an HP cook, but this sounds like a great technique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't forget to try the sodium lactate too! The oil/milk/sodium lactate combo really makes a huge difference to the smoothness of my HP soaps...good luck and happy soaping :)

    Cee

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soap sounds wonderful. May I ask how much milk did you add?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks MiniBee! What I do is hold back a small amount of the liquid called for and then add it after the cook, usually about an ounce. I also add 1 tbsp of sweet almond oil. These, along with the SL, help keep it smoother :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Cee. I love HP and smoother would be great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been making a lot of hp lately ... going to try the sodium lactate stat! Love the idea of adding a bit of cream at the end. So simple yet never thought of it. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore HP soap, I haven't made any in a while but just experimented with an HP facial bar that I'm hoping to post in the next few days. Good luck with the SL and cream...hope it helps you! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm pretty new to soap making. I've made a couple cold process batches, but I'm dying to try hot process. I'm researching hp techniques now, and I'm intrigued by this sodium lactate and cream reaction. If you don't mind divulging more info, what kind of cream do you add at the end? How much per pound of oil? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/sodium-lactate-60-percent.aspx

    Is this the correct sodium lactate solution? Soldium Lactate 60%?

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi yes, the 60% solution is what I use.

      Delete
  11. When using the sodium lactate, do we have to add a cream? Or can we just add the sodium lactate alone

    ReplyDelete
  12. When using the sodium lactate, do we have to add a cream? Or can we just add the sodium lactate alone

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
10